Thursday, March 8, 2012

Wawawasi Progress...

Sorry it’s been a long time since I’ve updated… our progress in getting ready for Wawawasi has been slow!  We’ve been buying supplies, painting, buying more supplies, getting the wrong colors, getting stuck… but the room is almost completely painted…
Today after painting, we worked on puppets for the puppet theater.  We are making a variety of animals, a Peruvian boy and girl, and an Incan king and queen.
Saturday the teachers from FairPlay are going to come and clean and help get the room ready. 
Monday and Tuesday we will be doing “marketing” by walking the neighborhood and giving out information to the mamas and origami jumping frogs to the kids. 
Wednesday we are projected to start!  It’s going to be really fun and I’m sure very challenging, but we are all really excited to get started!
I also got an email from Yanapay saying that the first email was an error and they still need help, so it’s possible I will work with them later this year.  I would really like to work with them as well, since they seem to have an awesome program and they are also located much closer to where I live now, so I could walk up there.  ALSO, I think they would benefit from the money that you all donated much more than FairPlay since FairPlay does their fundraising in Belgium/Europe.  It’s hard to say though.  I’ll watch and see if there is a specific need we can fill at Wawawasi.
Here are some pictures of the art that was designed by Josie from Northern California of all places.  She’s an art student at a college in Oregon.







I moved from my homestay (which is a little silly because Wawawasi is in the same house) to a hostel near the mercado San Pedro.  It’s a covered market where you can buy everything from half a cow carcass to fresh mangos (my fav!).  It’s not quite as quiet here as Cari Grande, but I love being walking distance to the plaza and the market.  I also have a kitchen so I can cook and I’m paying about half as much as I was at the homestay.  The other residents of the hostel are really funny to live around.  The bulk of them right now are Argentinians that are in some kind of circus.  Others are musicians, so we constantly have some type of music playing… everything from an acoustic version of MGMT’s “Kids” to more Andean sounding music with flutes… it’s a happy place to live.  The owner is a really nice lady named Delsy.  Her husband and 16 year old also live here and her parents visit often.  She often gives me food when she makes lunch for the family like fried fish with giant corn and salad and when I cook French toast, crepes, or Korean bbq, I always share with the family.  The only thing I don’t like about this place is the freezing cold water when it’s already 45ish degrees every morning and night… and this is SUMMER.

In other frivolous news, I got a haircut near my hostel for 5 soles (that’s less than two bucks) and colored it (I have lots of grey hair) for 40 soles (less than 15 bucks).  Since we don’t have hot water in the hostel, having my hair washed in hot water felt like a little piece of heaven, haha. 
A blurry pic of my new look (it's just my old look refreshed):

No comments:

Post a Comment